So what exactly is silicone?
- Silicone is made from sand (silica) and carbon, natural resources that give stasher bags the purity of glass and functionality of plastic. Better yet, stasher products are made of 100% pure platinum grade silicone — a standard even higher than food grade silicone, passing all U.S. safety requirements and even tougher European standards.
And what makes silicone better than plastic?
- Silicone is safer, more flexible, and more sustainable than plastic. Plastic is a petroleum-based product that introduces toxic chemicals to our food and environmental concerns to our planet. Rethinking plastic is what stasher is all about.
Are stasher bags BPA free?
- Yes. There are no fillers or petroleum-based products in stasher — no BPA, BPS, lead, latex, or phthalates.
Are stasher bags hypoallergenic?
- Yes. Additionally, stasher’s non-porous silicone surface helps inhibit bacterial growth, mold, and germs.
How many times can stasher be reused?
- Stasher bags are endlessly reusable. Seriously.
Where is stasher made?
- Stasher is designed in California and produced responsibly in China.
Can you cook with stasher?
- Stasher bags are safe for use in the microwave, with a sous vide machine, a standard oven, or a pot of boiling water — up to 400F.
And if I want to store soups in the freezer?
- Stasher is freezer safe, but use caution carrying and storing liquids. It should be okay to fill the stasher bag with liquid and place it upright in the freezer.
I’m hearing a lot of about cooking sous vide with stasher. Why?
- Sous vide is a popular slow cooking technique that seals in flavor and nutrients. And stasher was born to sous vide.
- Place your ingredients in stasher, then seal the bag, leaving a 2-inch opening anywhere on the seal. Then slowly submerge your bag in water, the pressure of the water on the outside of the bag will push out any excess air and create a vacuum tight seal around your food. Once you have the bag almost fully submerged, pinch the seal completely closed to avoid any air coming in.
- If you have a minute, this video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaPlF6V9ZPs
Does silicone stain?
- Because we don’t use any toxic sealants for stasher, the silicone can sometimes stain with certain foods. The best way to avoid this is to choose a bag color that corresponds with your food, e.g. a citrus stasher for red spaghetti sauce. You can also reduce staining by immediately cleaning after use.
If the bag happens to stain how can I remove it without using harsh chemicals?
- The best way we’ve found to safely remove stains:
- Make a baking soda paste with vinegar or water
- Apply to discolored container
- Let sit for at least 20-30 mins
- Rinse and wash the bag like normal
- Or toss your stasher in the sun for a a-nautral strain remover. Those powerful sun rays will zap any stain!
Do the bags absorb smells?
- Stasher silicone is nonporous, inhibiting bacterial growth and odors. Certain smelly foods may leave a slight odor in the bag, but that can be remedied with a thorough washing or baking soda soaking. A fresh slice of lemon left in overnight can help too.
Is stasher dishwasher safe?
- Totally. Use the upper rack for best results. Just don't flip the bag inside out, it can compromise the bag's sealed edges.
How do you clean the corners of the bag?
- We suggest filling the bag a 1/4th of the way with warm water and soap and giving it a nice shake. A little brush helps too.
Can stasher be used in a UV sterilizer?
How much volume will each stasher size hold?
- The sandwich bag holds 15 fluid ounces and perfectly fits a sandwich, half a grapefruit, or two small chicken breasts.
- The snack bag holds 9.9 fluid ounces and fits a halved avocado.
- The half-gallon storage bag holds 64.2 fluid ounces and will fit two strip steaks or an entire bundle of asparagus.
Is stasher approved by TSA for flying with carry-on liquids?
- Yes, use the sandwich size. The clear window on every stasher bag offers a TSA approved view of contents, making them appropriate to pass airport security with travel-size liquids.