Ancient Peruvian Superfood!
Legend has it that Incan warriors used to eat Maca before going into battle - they believed it gave them invincible strength and stamina. And truth be told, it probably did!
Like all great superfoods, Maca was traded by the ancients and used as money!
For centuries the root herb Maca has been grown in the Andes mountains, typically at altitudes of over 12,000 feet. It is the highest altitude food-herb grown in the world. The soils of these high plateaus are extremely rich in minerals which accounts for Maca's amazing array of trace minerals and health benefits.
Maca is exposed to intense levels of sunlight and extreme cold weather conditions. Its ability to survive and thrive against all odds captures its character. It is extremely beneficial for people living in cold climates, at high altitudes and with extreme lifestyles.
Maca has now been re-discovered and has taken its rightful place amongst natures most powerful superfoods.
Here's how and why it achieves its wonders:
- Maca is packed with vitamins especially vitamins B1, B2, C and E.
- Rich in minerals including calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sulphur and iron, and contains trace minerals, including zinc, iodine, copper, selenium, bismuth, manganese and silica.
- Contains about 10% bio available calcium and about 12-14% bio available protein.
- Contains nearly 20 amino acids and seven essential amino acids.
- Power-packed with life enhancing enzymes. A person's lifespan is directly related to the exhaustion of their enzyme potential which basically means more enzymes in your diet equal a longer and healthier life.
- Contains nearly 60 phytochemicals.
- Dried Maca powder contains 60% carbohydrates, 9% fibre, and slightly more than 10% protein. It has a higher lipid (fat) content than other root crops (2.2%).
- But most importantly - it is an adaptogen so it adapts to your body's metabolism, working with your body for optimum results.
- It has the ability to balance and stabilise the body's systems (cardiovascular system, nervous system, musculature, lymphatic system, etc.). As an adaptogen, Maca can provide more energy if it is needed, but if it is not, it will not over stimulate. Adaptogens also boost immunity and increase the body's overall vitality by 10-15% according to most studies. Rather than addressing a specific symptom, adaptogens are used to improve the overall adaptability of the whole body to diverse and challenging situations and stress.
- Increased energy, endurance and strength
- Enhanced libido - it is billed as a natural aphrodisiac
- Balanced hormone levels by working on the pituitary gland, which is responsible for secreting sex hormones.
- According to Dr Northrup, Maca can also help impotent men, because it stimulates the pituitary gland into secreting more testosterone.
- Immune system support
- Increased oxygen levels in the blood which improves brain function
- Improved memory and mental clarity
- Relief from menopausal symptoms - women who take Maca report LESS fatigue,
greater energy and relief from hot flushes and night sweats.
- Regulation of menstruation and period pain relief
- Enhanced fertility in both men and women
- Reduction of chronic fatigue
- Overall support of the endocrine system
- Elevates your mood
- A youthful radiance - thanks to increased blood circulation in your skin
How to use it:
Maca tastes malted, like Horlicks!
- Try adding it to smoothies.
- Maca is a great addition to desserts and sweet treats.
- Maca has an incredible synergistic effect when combined with raw cacao nibs or raw cacao powder
We offer Maca to you as a dried, raw, organic root powder.
You can consume 1-8 teaspoons per day to begin with. The more maca you consume, the more benefit you are likely to get. In toxicity studies conducted in the U.S., maca showed absolutely no toxicity and no adverse pharmacologic effects.
Maca Love Potion
500ml fresh almond milk(almonds and water blended)
Dash of vanilla essence or seeds from a vanilla pod
1 Tablespoon Maca powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Agave syrup or honey to taste
2 Tablespoons Coconut oil/butter
Blend it all up and ENJOY!
We are here to help! Friendly, efficient service is just a call or email away!
A choice for GREEN living, superfoods are nutritional powerhouses!